Salambha Sarvangasana ( Shoulderstand)-:
Anga= Body Organs.
As we know the shape of Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand) resembles a popular Indian Music Instrument, the ‘Tambura’. Tambura is the favourite instrument of the sage Narada (Son of lord Bramha), the chief musician of Gods. The Tambura is a stringed instrument with a sweet sound. The Tambura is an instrument used for in toning. Sarvangasana helps too, to tone up all body Organs.
Sarvangasana is the mother of all the asanas. As a mother strives for harmony and happiness at home, same this asana strives for the harmony and happiness in the human body system.
The importance of the Sarvangasana cannot be over-emphasized. It is one of the greatest boon we get by our ‘Ancient Yogis’ on our humanity. This Asana soothes the mind and emotions bringing the body and mind in harmony.
The practice Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand)-:
- Lie down on the mat, If having stiff neck then can use a folded blanket under your shoulder so neck can get enough space to be free.
- With inhalation, bend your knees towards to your chest, then activate your core and slowly raise your legs up towards to ceiling with support of your palms to the back.
- Make sure for the final position your body should be perpendicular, only the upper-arms, shoulders, and back of the head will be on the ground. Elbows should not wider, bring the elbows and shoulder in line.
Modification for beginners -:
(Somehow, if you are not possible to do it perpendicular in shape, you can support your palms towards to your buttocks so your spine will be in slanting position like 45 degree angle and legs will be also same in slanting position, and toes aligned with your forehead. This is the vipreet karni asana).
- Now try to adjust your palms at the back of your chest according to your convenience should not get pressure on your neck, it will help to open your chest part which will help you to breath deeper in this pose.
- Tuck the tail bone, activate the thighs muscles and calves. Do not move your neck left or right.
- In the beginning stay in the position according to your convenience, gradually with your regular practice increase your time over a period of weeks to an optimum of at least 3-5 minutes for a general health.
- This is the sarvangasana.
If we start to talk about the benefits of sarvangasana there are lot. As we mention already sarvangasana is the mother of all the asanas As a mother strives for harmony and happiness at home, same this asana strives for the harmony and happiness in the human body system.
The benefits of sarvangasana -:
- It is a very good remedy for most common ailments.
- Now days people are suffering from hair fall and skin problems, this asana is a boon for them because it gives proper blood circulation to the upper body.
- By pressing the chest against the chin, this asana stimulates the thyroid gland.
- There are several ductless glands in the human system which bath in the blood and absorb the nutrients from the blood and secrete harmones for the proper functioning of a balanced and well development body and mind.
- It tranquillizes the mind, relieves mental and emotional stress, boosting the
- Healthy blood is allowed to circulate around the neck reason and chest. As a result, person suffering from breathlessness, palpitation, asthma bronchitis and throat ailments get relief.
- Sarvangasana releases the normal gravitational pressure from the anal muscles, relieving haemorrhoids.
- The sarvangasana activates the abdominal organs and relieves people suffering from stomach and intestinal ulcers, severe pains in the abdomen and colitis.
Contra indications of sarvangasana-:
- This asana should not be practiced by people suffering from enlarged thyroid, liver or spleen.
- People who having cervical spondylitis, lumber spondylitis, slipped disc should not practice this asana.
- People having high blood pressure, weak blood vessels in the eyes should avoid this asana practice. They can practice Halasana for a while according to there comfort.
- Mainly this asana should avoid during mensuration and advanced stages of pregnancy.
Physically Awarness during the sarvangasana on the various sensations of the body adjusting to its inversion, on control of the movemrnt, on the neck or thyroid gland, and on breath and spiritually awareness should be on ‘vishuddhi chakra’.